Monday, July 17, 2017

My first wrap dress ever - #107 Claire from PatternReview

Claire wrap dress pr
I never had a wrap dress. I don't even know why. I stated admire some on PaternReview and even bought a McCall's pattern with good reviews but still haven't even got close to make one until I've seen the new Claire pattern. I haven't knew anything about it being cooked up so it was a real surprise seeing it and I knew it is time to finally make my wrap dress. The tailored details in the collar, the back yoke and the front band spoke to me.
It was then a big questing settling on a fabric. Nothing seamed right. I was really tempted to do a knit one but I wanted something more sharp. Then I wanted fabric that would have it all - amazing print, drape and body ... ha ha.. so weeks got by and i was stated to think my dress will not come soon after all... Until I've seen this fabric in the store and thought it would make an amazing maxi dress Vogue 9253 style. I almost bought the pattern but as nice as I've seen it look on other people I didn't think it would work for me. Then I have this bright idea: What if I make my Claire as a maxi dress - then I wouldn't need as much drape and all would work out great.
   I was lucky I had bought enough fabric - 3,5 m so I didn't had to worry much about it - ofc I could always go and buy a new cut since the store is close and it was a new bolt. I've added 40 cm length so I can wear it without hills. I would have loved a longer version for hills as well but then I got worry I would not wear it or tip in it.
    It got together easy and the sew along on PR forum really helped but i also had the bright idea to use an entire roll of piping on the dress so It took some time to get it together. 
My ties are really long , a little over 2 m I think and piping and turning them took some patience there ..
But over all I am really happy with my dress. I wore it over the weekend and I felt really pretty in it:
Claire wrap dress pr
Claire wrap dress pr
Claire wrap dress pr 
Claire wrap dress pr
Claire wrap dress pr

14 comments:

  1. Felicitari, este foarte frumoasa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing dress! Smashing colours and a perfect shape! And how much work with all the piping - I've aleways been too lazy to work with piping. But maybe your project gives me the kick ;-)
    Cheers
    Polly/Petra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your work is lovely and I am sure you would do great piping if you want! I understand the reserve, it takes a lot more time indeed, but the extra sharp look you get is almost always worth it :)

      Delete
    2. I did it: https://sewingpolly.blogspot.de/2017/07/mein-erstes-papspelband.html
      Thank you so much for your inspiration!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic job! You look amazing in this dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic! i love the piping and you have done such a beautiful job sewing it.

    www.handmadebelongings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very gorgeous style! I love the piping too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eli! It was a slightly larger cotton pipping. It went together a lot nicer then the usual satin one I find in local stores. Now I have to search for more since I used the hole role I had :)

      Delete
  6. Would you mind me sharing this on Sassy Sewing Bees in the future? I link to your post and let you know when. https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you can share my project as long as you link the source!

      Delete