Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Plaid Lillian Top and little Pocahontas dress

I was away from my sewing room from the beginning of the year. It was not easy to be away. But life happens and some time is hard to find free time especially with 2 small kids. I was happy last weekend to finally have some time alone and do some sewing. I wanted to start with something easy and familiar so I used 2 patterns that were already open on my table and one of the last year late purchased fabrics. My top id PatternReview Lillian top and Eva dress is from the Pocahontas top pattern from Ottobre :
I made my top without the extra ease on the hip. I think it still makes some unpleasant wrinkles under the arm and I should try and fix that if I will be doing that again. I am just not sure how...I think some sort of bust dart will fix it. I should at least try it.
The fabric is quite unusual. On the outside it looks a bit like Lycra blend knit and on the inside it has a flannel look and feel. I am a bit curious how will behave. It was not hard to sew and it was not expensive so I am happy with it so far.
 Eva's dress is longer and without a tie. I also skipped the neck binding and just turned and cover stitch. I skipped the elastic at the sleeve as well - just cover stitch finish there as well.
She may have liked it a bit shorter and I think it would have been more flattering on her like that. But she is growing so fast so probably it will be shorter soon :).
I also started a new system to help me limit my fabric purchases this year. Every item I sew I get 1 point or so ( maybe more or less sometimes depending on difficulty and amount of fabric used ). To buy a new fabric I need to spend 2 points. So here are my first 2 points for there year and another one for making new curtains for my sewing room :
I have a for other easy tops waiting for some finishing touches and reviews so more points to come soon. Justin time since one of my favorite stores just have a new set of printed knits that have been really hard not to order already...

4 comments:

  1. It’s been a while! I love both tunics. Very cute:)

    P.S I have a loooot of my stash, and my work room is mess(*_*) Your idea is so smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I can keep my engagement since I made it rather permissive. I could never keep away from fabrics! There is just to much joy in buying them! But I hope now my buying will need to encourage sewing and I will probably think twice before spending my hard worked points as well as my money... I know have a a cart made a few days ago and still haven't pressed send - I still need to sew some more or remove some fabric...

      Delete
  2. Cute Ladies ♥ Very nice blouse and little dress!

    ReplyDelete